970-968-2318 ext. 38849
COPPER MOUNTAIN, Colo. – Jan. 9, 2019 -- Mark your calendars once again for the largest and most fun safety event of the season at Copper Mountain’s 10th annual Safety Fest Jan. 19-20. As part of the National Ski Area Association’s (NSAA) Safety Awareness Month, Copper Mountain welcomes skiers, snowboarders and winter enthusiasts to a weekend of education, prizes and more.
From Saturday, Jan. 19 to Sunday, Jan. 20, Burning Stones Plaza in Copper’s Center Village will transform into Safety Village with Woodward Copper, US Forest Service, Summit Huts Association, CMC Snow Science Program and many more partners on hand to provide information about slope safety, winter driving, backcountry awareness and Copper’s safety initiatives.
In addition to the Safety Village open from 9 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. each day, a variety of activities are scheduled throughout the weekend:
- Flight for Life helicopter tour: At 10 a.m. on Saturday, meet the pilot and medics at the top of the Excelerator lift outside Patrol Headquarters and get a tour of Copper’s air-transport helicopter.
- Slopeside Yoga Stretch Out: Warm up and prevent injury with a free outdoor yoga class in Burning Stones Plaza at 10 a.m. both days.
- Copper Avalanche Dogs in action: On Saturday and Sunday, watch Fido search and find a buried avalanche victim. Takes place at 11 a.m. in Center Village and 12:30 p.m. in West Village.
- Avalanche Airbag Demonstration: At 2 p.m. each day, watch how an avalanche airbag can save a life during a demonstration in Center Village.
- Close the mountain with Ski Patrol: Ever wonder how ski patrol “sweeps” and closes the mountain? Sign up at the Junior Ski Patrol booth and spend the afternoon clearing the slopes with the professionals.
- Daily raffle prize giveaways: Guests who visit each safety tent will be entered into a daily prize drawing at 2:30 p.m. in Burning Stones Plaza. Top prizes include 2 nights lodging, season pass, parking passes, tubing, ski tunes, helmets, restaurant gift cards and more.
For a full schedule of activities and events as part of Safety Fest, visit coppercolorado.com.
MEDIA NOTE: Broadcast quality photos and broll can be found here.
About Copper Mountain:
Located just 75 miles west of Denver, Colo. in the heart of the Rocky Mountains, Copper Mountain Resort is an ideal vacation destination with a laid-back and inclusive vibe that represents the best of Colorado. Three pedestrian-friendly village areas provide a vibrant atmosphere with lodging, retail outlets, restaurants, bars and family activities. During the winter months, Copper’s naturally-divided terrain offers world-class skiing and riding for all ages and abilities. Each summer, the mountain transforms into an unspoiled playground for hikers, mountain bikers and those seeking a genuine Colorado experience. Copper Mountain Resort boasts curated events year-round and is home to Woodward Copper – a lifestyle and action sports progression center. Copper Mountain is part of the POWDR Adventure Lifestyle Co. portfolio, a family-owned company that believes there is nothing better for your soul than to spend time with the people you love, doing the things you love.
Copper is currently undergoing $20 million in capital improvements that are designed to hold true to its philosophy of being local at the core with refreshing Raised on Colorado experiences. Projects include the new Rocky Mountain Coaster, a new high-speed quad chairlift, three new dining options, a new and improved retail location and an upgrade to RFID ticketing. To learn more about these projects, click here.